Wednesday 11 July 2007

RVing for the 1st Time / Rodeo Pictures

RV!
Calgary now behind us. Last day there not so good for me as time lag seemed to catch up with me and had to retire to bed for an afternoon nap. Please note, blaming this on the travelling experience and not old age. Did manage to revive for Death By Chocolate which was extremely indulgent but may have been why I have been doing weight watchers for the last 10 months!

Tuesday was RV day. The hire company picked us up at the hotel and took us to their site in Airdrie! All was going well but we had about 4hrs there while they dealt with the large number of bookings they had. Following a very detailed orientation we were off. First task was to fill up the propane gas tank. Very pleased with how well we managed to navigate left turns, garage forecourt and traffic signals.

Next up was a stop for supplies at The Real Canadian Superstore. Think of the largest uk supermarket you know and double it. Stocked up on all essential items, pancakes, beer, steaks and a little fruit for a healthy and balanced diet.

Then it was the real deal. The open road and the vastness of Canada. Roads stretch into the distance as far as the eye can see and are used by the biggest 4x4s and pick ups I have seen, 16 wheel trucks and fellow RVers.1st impression is that highways are excellent with good surface and well maintained in general. A roads are a bit of a different matter!

After about 2.5 hrs arrived safely at Tunnel Mountain Campsite with no hiccups and surprisingly quickly had the RV hooked up to all the services and settled in for a well earned cuppa. Bit of an issue for laundry but decided to sort this out tomorrow.

Went for a pre bedtime stroll around the campsite and saw some spectacular views of the sun setting against the Rockies. Sunset is a at about 9.30pm so will be out there tomorrow with the camera…weather permitting.


Hey, Eilidh here! So far I think the R.V is great! My area is above the driving cabin, it is really good because I can draw over a curtain. This means I will be able to have some me time!

I am very impressed with dads driving (although going round some of the corners were quite scary)! I like the fact that I have to sit in the back because it means I can draw and things like that! I have another spoon update! The hotel gave me a table-spoon to eat a small egg! So the Canadians either don’t give you a spoon at all or give you the wrong size! But I have to say I’m amazed that the R.V has spoons! I still don’t have any signs of Crazyitis but I’m still unsure whether I’ll make it! Signing of now, I am hopeful that I will stay sane………………………

She who must be obeyed here (think I should adopt a First Nation approach to my name) however Eilidh has just pointed out that this is only wishful thinking on my part. Must say I am dead impressed with frozen microwave pancakes. I am sitting here at our picnic table with trees and mountains all around us. There are many other RVs here but it is incredibly peaceful and beautiful. We are maintaining a “bare campsite” as per our ranger’s instructions. As there ARE bears, cougars and wolves here. I am adapting from city girl to country girl and can confirm that Eilidh has given up on hairdryers and hair straighteners. We are heading off on a mile or so long trek to find the launderette as our minimalist packing means we are running low on essential clothing.










No comments: