Friday 13 July 2007

Johnston Canyon and Moraine Lake

New Adventures in RV-ing
The day started well and we had planned on going to Johnston Canyon and either Lake Louise or Lake Moraine. Following breakfast and on return from my shower calamity had struck. Eilidh had burnt her hand on one of the air vents and there had been an incident with the emptying of both the black (which should be brown if you get my drift) and grey waste. A large quantity had escaped from the hose and was slowly seeping away under the RV. As you can imagine sally was in her element!
Eilidh’s hand slowly improved as the day went on, large amounts of ice and cold water to take the heat away from her blistered fingers. As we travelled to Johnston Canyon the waste incident was left far behind. The scenery was just stunning. Every twist of the road opened up a new and even more stunning vista. I was quickly feeling more confident behind the wheel and experimenting with the automatic gearshift and cruise control. What a revelation, your feet become almost redundant for large parts of the journey. After Johnston Canyon, which was stunning (Pics below), it’s on to Lake Louise Village where we hoped to do some laundry and decide which of the lakes we would visit. The village itself is fairly non descript and seems to be a general service area for tourists etc. Eventually got the washing done and was ready for the next challenge, reversing! Manoeuvre successfully completed with Sally adopting appropriate traffic police mode to help guide me round and out! We opted to go to Lake Moraine. Breath- taking scenery, which we could really appreciate having planned to arrived later in the day when it would be quieter. Following a stroll around the Lake, we ended up being the last on the lake in a canoe as the sun started to go down. (See pics below). We had dinner in the RV before heading back to Tunnel Mountain on the Trans Canadian Highway using cruise control most of the way. Hi, blistered hand here! I have to say I’m growing more and more paranoid about spoons! Anywhere I go I’m on the hunt for spoons. So far I still don’t have crazyitis but I may be developing spoonitis! My hand is much better and only two fingers have come out in blisters! I have told mum and dad I am never ever pulling the lever for the waste again after yesterday! I am also glad to report that I no longer scared of bears! Bye for now! xxx What Gordon very kindly omits in the above description is that I had a total hissy fit shortly up the moderate level hike at Moraine Lake. I could not relax as all I could see round every bend was an imagined bear ready to jump out and attack Eilidh. To be fair at the bottom of the trail I had read the very informative and helpful guidance from the Rangers. “This is bear country – beware. Walk in tight groups of four or more hikers, make a lot of noise, holler before going round a bend.” They then told you what to do in case of attack. First you needed to decide if the bear was being defensive or aggressive. If defensive you play dead, however, if that does not work you attack and run like hell for the nearest house or car. We were in the mountains – it was too far at this point from house or car never mind if we made it up the rest of the hike. Somehow Gordon picked up on my negative vibes and in that happily married couple way we agreed to go back down. Eilidh at this point was oblivious to most of this and thought we were heading back down because my back was too sore. Bless! It was absolutely beautiful canoeing on the lake. For those not in the know canoes are open and look like Indian canoes. What I used to think of as a canoe is a kayak. We had a few problems paddling at first but once we explained to Eilidh that paddling was like four beats in a bar she got it. Those who know I am not musical and cannot do rhythm may be mystified at this point but once she got going I followed her and Gordon steered. At times it was slightly tricky as we tried to stay absolutely still as Gordon got that shot. Today we are heading to Banff – and the convenient bench beside the bus stop where you can get wi fi from a kind man called John. We are then heading up Sulphur Mountain on the Gondola. It might be cooler there. We have managed with the 29 degrees and hiking but today it is going up in the 30s. Eilidh and I feel we need to shop as we have loads of jeans and fleeces but not enough summer stuff. Laundry is a bit of an issue and in the words of the View …” I’ve had the same jeans on for four days now …”














No comments: