Thursday 26 July 2007

Big Bar Ranch part 1

Big Bar Ranch, Back of Beyond, Clinton area.

After a fascinating drive northwest we made it to Clinton – a typical one street Canadian town that looks like it has seen better days. We checked the map and headed off on the last 45 minutes of the journey. Well not quite as this was a dirt track gravel road and RVs and these do not go to well. We made a steady 20km an hour and rattled and shook ourselves for 90 minutes. But it was worth it once we got there. There were only three families camping and we had lots of room, fabulous views and the opportunity to have big fires. On Sunday night we discovered Smores, courtesy of the Chung family. You take two biscuits and sandwich chocolate and marshmallows inside the biscuit, wrap in foil and bake on fire.

Monday afternoon, 2pm it was time for our first ever foray into Western style riding and trail riding. My horse was Boots, Eilidh had Destiny and Gordon had Henry. Gordon became quite fond of Henry, even if he did keep walking off when he had let go of the reins to take a photo. We all stayed on and traversed a fairly steep and interesting trail. There was nothing to it – we could do it. We were so enthused we signed up for the morning ride even if it meant being up and dressed for 9.30 am.

That night cowboy Gordon cooked Steaks, corn and potatoes on the open fire, which was delicious, and apart from the dust due to big winds we were fine. No mosquitoes because of the wind. There were some huge dragonflies and grasshoppers but these only clicked and buzzed and did not bite.

Yeehah! This time I have two things that I must write about, the more obvious of the two about the ranch and secondly after a request from Rachel another spoon update!! I think I will start off with the all important spoon update!! Recently I think mum may becoming clueless as she is beginning to give me spoons at all the wrong times, dad though has managed to stay clear of what I call mad spoon disease! I am worried in case it is contagious. I may have to consult a doctor about that! Although I do have some good news. I have now been to two places where I have had dessert I have been given the right spoon! Hallelujah!

Moving on! The ranch was just amazing, I absolutely loved it! The riding was really good and the scenery was stunning! The pony I was on, Destiny was very nice. When we tried jogging it was good fun. I wish we got to lope though………..
Bye for now Eilidh xxxxxx

This is always how I saw things in my head when being a cowboy at North Milton! Huge open skies, tree lined mountains, dusty trails, cattle and men on horse back in denims. I have tried to capture this in my photos, but fear that I have failed. I will post some on the second instalment of the Big Bar Ranch. For now we have had a request from Fergus and Annie for more pictures of Eilidh so those are added below.

The Ranch was staffed by a a fantastic group of people who were only too happy to assist but you did have to ask. I have found this to be very much the norm. Ask and you will get excellent advice and or assistance, stay quiet and you will be left to figure things out for yourself.

It is hard to fully explain how remote we were on the ranch and in reality we were only on the fringes of the BC wilderness. The closest I can come, is to compare it to being in the most remote area of the highlands. In-fact in many aspects there was a lot of similarities in the lifestyles and characteristics of the areas. More of this in part two.











1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.